Weeeee! This was a fairly sizable race (about 1150 finishers). Very exciting!!!
And now, a couple of rants:
1. People at my gym are illiterate. I have been spending more time there than I'd like, running laps on the track instead of risking
- Several children were playing on the track (supposedly children under 12 should be accompanied by an adult). No adults seemed to be in charge of these, and they were running up and down the track, running in front of and behind me (one girl even ran behind me for almost a length, shadowing me--I don't care who you are, but don't do that. It reminds me of being raped. Thanks, kid.) They stood on the track in lane one for a while, watching a basketball game taking place below, then romped around like it was their personal playground, apparently taking no notice of the several people whose workouts they were disrupting. They were old enough to know better. When I was a kid, I learned early to stay out of my elders' way. It's not rocket science. Grrrr.
- There is a girl at the gym that Mark and I have named "Annoying Third Lane Walker Girl." She walks in the third (running) lane. Since I am generally moving faster than others on the track, I spend a lot of time in that lane and she's in my way, a lot. I see her there all the time, but she has yet to get around to reading those rules. She was there yesterday. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just annoying as usual. This time she was joined by another annoying third lane walker girl, except this one kept switching lanes.
- Three windsuit-clad women were power-walking, taking up the entire track. I yelled "Track!" and finally "Excuse me" and they finally let me by. Grrrr.
- One dude was walking around the track the WRONG WAY. Now this one just gets me. You don't have to know how to read to figure that out. There's a big purple arrow that tells you which way to go, and if you can't figure THAT out, you could get a clue from the fact that EVERYONE ELSE is going the SAME WAY. There are times to conform, and this is one of them!
2. Mark was pulled over for the second time ever yesterday (on the way back from the race) and administered a ticket for going 12 over the speed limit. This was on a road that was turning into a highway. There were no signs posted in the vicinity and we were going 52, building up to the highway speed limit of 55. Apparently the speed limit there is a 40. Well, now we know, but it was a costly lesson. How much? Well, we won't know for a while, because we have to call a number on the ticket and find out, and apparently it can take 4-6 weeks to be processed into the system. Which will give us another 2 weeks to come up with whatever exorbitant amount they decide to charge. Grrrr. Thanks for ruining the high of my good race, not to mention Valentine's Day! (We don't really care about VDay, but the cop doesn't know that.) We're already on a diet consisting mainly of ramen noodles to help scrape up more money for the house down payment. Guess some of that money is going to the IPD. Thanks guys. I would like to know why they NEVER EVER pull over the people who truly deserve it.
3. Mark then kept getting calls from an 800 number. After the second one, he Googled it and found it was our bank's fraud division. He decided to call them back to see what was up. Apparently someone had used his card info to make $600 of purchases at stores in Illinois. This isn't so much a rant as a "Holy crap I'm glad they caught that." But it is really annoying that he had to cancel his card and will now be without a credit card for about a week. I'm really hoping they roll over the cash back points he had accumulated.
4. My student loan account is on automatic debit. I don't like automatic debit, but they lowered my interest rate if I signed up, so I did. It comes out on the 14th of each month and has been for years. Well, it still hasn't come out for February, and when I checked the account, it is now showing as past due. Maybe this is because of Presidents' Day, but the fact that it is showing as past due pisses me off. I'm afraid to pay it manually because they might take a double payment, which I can't cover until I get paid again. I have been extremely conscientious about paying off my loans on time because it affects my credit. I have an extremely good credit score, and it would be awesome if they could NOT eff that up right before we try to get a mortgage. I've emailed them...just gotta wait and see.
These are some awesome complaints to have compared to last year. I'm kind of "enjoying" them, if that makes any sense. But I'm still annoyed! Boo hiss!